Tips for Theatre Types
A useful resource for any budding and more experienced playwrights to help get your work developed and seen. Please bookmark this page as we continue to add and grow to it. This list was produced by WOL collaborator, writer and dramaturg Uschi Gatward.
New writing theatres/companies that accept unsolicited scripts
- The Bush
- The Finborough
- Hampstead Theatre
- National Theatre
- Paines Plough
- Royal Court
- Soho Theatre
- Talawa – Black-led company
- Theatre Royal Stratford East – particular focus on Black and Asian work
- Theatre503 – check websites for up to date details and submission guidelines
- AND: Send your script to Writing Our Legacy! – we’re always interested to hear from writers of BME origin who are based in our region. We won’t be able to produce your play, but we may be able to advise you what to do with it next. We’ll also keep you in mind for any future projects.
- Bruntwood – they lots of great playwriting resources on its site
- Verity Bargate (run by Soho Theatre, usually in summer. Keep an eye on the website)
These aren’t set in stone, but the BBC Writersroom handout is a good, simple guide.
If you have cash to splash, FinalDraft software is very good.
Arts Council England offers grants for individual playwrights through its Grants for the arts programme.